Indoor Winter Farmers Markets In Greater Portland, Cumberland County, and York County Maine.
As we transition into the colder weather, the last thing I want to do is stop visiting the farmers’ markets. Visiting the Deering Oaks farmers market on Saturday mornings in Portland has become a part of my weekend ritual. I’m very grateful that we have access to all of this great, REAL, food, and for the farmers that take such care in growing it for us. Humans tend to take food for granted and many don’t take the time to research where it really comes from and how it was grown.
Over the years I have steered clear of big business brands and markets that focus on “buzz-words” rather then top quality. When I go to a market or store I want to buy good food, not over-sized, depressed looking produce. Much of the produce that we find in the super market has been grown in mineral depleted soil, sprayed with Glyphosate (don’t know what it is? Google it), or traveled great distances thus losing nutritional content along the way.
If you look at the difference between organically grown food from a local farm you will notice a big difference from what you are used to seeing in the stores. The biggest ones are the size and depth of color. Wild food is usually smaller, a great example is the magnificent blueberries we have in Maine. We have been tricked into believing big is better, not the case.
Next time you go to a farmers market look at the depth of color and character of your selections, do the same when at the super market. If you notice the difference I’d love to hear about it in the comments section below.
Here is a list of some indoor farmers markets in the Greater Portland/Cumberland County Area:
1) Portland Winter Farmers’ Market – Every Saturday December – late April – 9am-1pm – 84 Cove St, East Bayside
2) Falmouth Winter Farmers’ Market – Every Wednesday until december 17th – 11am-2pm – Allen sterling and Lothrop – 191 Rte 1, Falmouth
3) South Portland Farmers’ Market – Every Sunday November – April from 10am-2pm – 496 Ocean St – 207.799.7743
4) Yarmouth Farmers’s Market – Every Wednesday through December from 3pm-6pm – Log Cabin, Main St, Yarmouth
5) Brunswick Farmers’ Market – Every Saturday, November – April from 9am-2pm – 14 Maine St, Brunswick
1) Kittery Community Market – every other Sunday from December 1 – March 23 – 120 Rogers Rd
2) Saco River Winter Market – Every Saturday Mid-November thru mid April from 9am-12:30
3) Berwick Winter Farmers’ Market – 11/16, 12/14, 1/18, 2/8, 3/8, and 4/26 from 10am – 1:30pm at Berwick Town hall, 11 Sullivan St, Berwick
4) York Gateway Winter Farmers’ Market – Every other Saturday from November 22 to March 21 from 9am – 1pm – American Legion – 9 Hannaford Dr.
Christopher Pagli – 914.406.9023
Accredited Buyer Representative
Benchmark Residential & Investment Real Estate